Polonius' Last Monologue


HAMLET - POLONIUS’ LAST MONOLOGUE – “Fie, fie, on’t! Wounded my heart remains.”
Act III, Scene 4
Iambic pentameter
Decasyllable
AA B CC B DD E FF E GG H II H JJ


Fie, fie, on’t! Wounded my heart remains.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh god – I have been slain,

A foe hath worn his sword to pierce mine flesh;

No longer sane, that sprout his mind hath lost
My death, on Denmark, casts eternal frost.

And now I take my leave, all has been said,

But fie, oh fie, first I must say goodbye
To my most honoured King, to my dear child,

To my Ophelia, I wish thee well.

Do keep thyself most pure, most true, most fair;
With all, my wisest words, I prithee share.

My kin, speak for thine father at the well;
Do save Polonius’ some prayers. Peer down,

But watch thyself, have care, thy must not… frown;
My life, of love has been most plentiful.

Weep not, I say, weep not, for my most sacred
Soul; rather watch stand his weapon, naked.

Of all, my death, my end, shall not be dull.

And now, I leave, I leave, I swear, my word.

Doth not forget my name, I leave, but first -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scream of consciousness

The walls are thin in DRA

SINE QUA NON